The majority of our students go on to university after A Levels, and our Careers Programme reflects this by focusing largely, but not exclusively, on higher education.
The Head of Careers and Higher Education has individual discussions with Lower Sixth students in the Lent Term which serve as a starting point for students as they assess their own preferences and criteria. Support and information are freely available with additional specialist guidance for students considering an Oxford or Cambridge application.
The Head of Careers and Higher Education works with House Tutors within the pastoral programme to help boys reflect on their own personal development. Throughout the Senior School and more intensively throughout the Sixth Form, we encourage students to explore the many post-eighteen options available, including: alternatives to higher education, international higher education choices, the UCAS and applications cycle, lifelong learning, opportunities for service and larger questions about personal vocations and choices.
We aim to ensure that every student has the information and support they need to make important choices at this pivotal time. We strive to assure every student that their future is important to us and that their choices will be treated with respect.
There is a well-planned programme in place to support students as they research their choice
Lower Sixth Form
- Small-group discussions and completion of CourseFinder questionnaire
- ‘Introduction to Higher Education’ Evening for Lower Sixth students and parents
- Careers Day with outside speakers including alumni and contributors from a wide range of organizations
- Students are taken to the Hertfordshire Higher Education Convention
- Students are assisted in selecting appropriate University Open Days and Taster courses
- UCAS referees are assigned and begin to work with students in preparing their personal statements
- Formal one-week Work Experience is undertaken during term time
Upper Sixth Form
- Interview skills training begins
- Student finance and budgeting sessions are taught
Lent and Trinity Terms
- Students receive and reply to University offers
- Students apply for Student Finance support
- Head of Careers and Higher Education is available from A Level results day to assist with contacting universities and amending choices in the light of examination outcomes