History of the College

Sub menu

The school was originally opened in 1939 by Mr Phillip O’Neil, a Catholic layman, and was taken over by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart, New England Province, in 1955.

The school rapidly grew through the 1960s as an independent Catholic school for boys. Further growth in the student population over the last ten years necessitated a further, and ongoing, programme of new building. Growth has also provided the opportunity to expand the curriculum, especially in the Sixth Form, where no fewer than twenty-one subjects are offered at A level.

The school roll now comprises 860 boys between the ages of four and eighteen, including a Sixth Form of 150, with students drawn from a wide area across north London, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire. Faith traditions and backgrounds are varied and all respected, while, at the same time, our moral and spiritual values are firmly rooted in our identity as a school in the educational tradition of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart. The Brothers of the Sacred Heart have schools in thirty-four countries around the world and St Columba’s, which is part of the United States Province, has close links with schools in the United States. The College also supports two sister schools in Zambia.