Board of Governors

Sub menu

The governing body includes a good range of experience and skills. The effective operation of a well-designed committee structure ensures monitoring of all areas of the College. Governors have close knowledge of the College through regular discussion with senior staff and through frequent visits, including an annual day in the College which includes viewing lessons. ISI Report, January 2015

The Board of Governors is legally responsible for the overall management and control of the College, and works alongside the Headmaster and staff to ensure that all students receive a high-quality education in a secure and safe environment.

St Columba’s College and Preparatory School is an incorporated charity and the governors are both Company Directors and Trustees of the Charity. Governors are appointed by the Members, who are the Provincial and the Provincial Councillors of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart Province of the USA, England and the Philippines.The maximum membership of the Board is fifteen governors, composed of three Brothers of the Sacred Heart and up to twelve lay governors.

The full Board normally meets five times a year and is supported by a committee structure to ensure the monitoring of all areas of the College. In addition to the three committees, Education, Strategy and Policy, Finance and General Purposes and Audit, there is a Recruitment Panel.

The Headmaster, Head of Prep and the Bursar attend Board meetings in an ex officio capacity. Additionally, there are governors who have specific link responsibilities for areas such as Safeguarding, Early Years Foundation Stage, Prep and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

Individual biographies for each member of the Board of Governors can be found by clicking on the links below. 

Chair: Mrs Jackie Harrison Cert Ed, BEd

Jackie has been a governor since January 2004 and Chair of Governors since August 2011. She has been associated with St Columba’s since 1967, as both her husband and son are former students of the College. Prior to becoming Chair, she was a Link Governor to the Prep School, Chair of the Education Strategy and Policy Committee and Child Protection Governor, as well as serving on the Senior School Parents’ Association, while her son attended the College. She originally qualified as a PE teacher, but, aged thirty, was appointed Deputy Head of a Catholic Comprehensive School in Hertfordshire. She remained in that post for twenty years and has since worked in a range of roles for Hertfordshire LA and in schools in the county. She is an active member of St Bartholomew’s Parish in St Albans, where she has completed two periods as Chair of the Parish Council, in addition to being a lector, Eucharistic Minister and Sacristan. She is also a Foundation Governor in a local Catholic primary school, where she has served for eighteen years. Jackie sits on the Education, Strategy and Policy Committee.

Vice Chair: Mr Edward Caddle MBA, FCCA, MCIPD, ACIM

Edward joined the Board of Governors in 2015. Originally, he qualified as an accountant, but has held a variety of senior executive and board roles in both finance and general management in a range of industries and geographies.

Currently, he is the International Chief Financial Officer of First Data Corporation, with responsibility for Europe, Asia and Latin America. He has previously worked for Unilever, Dun & Bradstreet and Equifax. Edward is married with two boys, one Columban and one Old Columban, and has been a parent at the school since 2005. Edward is also a member of the Finance and General Purposes Committee. 

Mr Chris Cleugh BSc, MSc (Chem), JP

Chris has been the Headmaster of St Benedict’s School in Ealing since January 2002. Prior to that, he was the Headmaster of St Anselm’s in Birkenhead, a Catholic grammar school for boys. He is the Chairman of the Trustees of his alma mater, St Mary’s College (a Catholic independent School in Crosby, Liverpool), and is the current Chairman of the Catholic Independent Schools Conference. He is married to Tina (herself a Head of a VA Catholic Primary School). They have four children and three grandchildren. Chris is the Chair of the Education, Strategy and Policy Committee.

Mr Chris Cook LLB (Hons), Specific Responsibility for Child Protection

Chris is a Partner and Head of Employment at SA Law, a commercial law firm based in St Albans and London. Chris became a governor of the College in September 2011 and, in 2013, was appointed Child Protection Governor. He specialises in a comprehensive range of employment and HR matters, both contentious and non-contentious in nature. He routinely advises a number of education sector clients. Chris also serves on the Finance and Resources Committee of homelessness charity, DePaul UK. Chris is a member of the Education, Strategy and Policy Committee.

Br. Robert Croteau SC

Br. Robert served as the Provincial Superior of the New England Province of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart until July 2014. During that time, he also served as Chair of the Board of Trustees of St Columba’s College. He was appointed as a governor in 2014. He is presently the Director of the House of Retirement of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in Pascoag, Rhode Island, USA. His previous service in education was as Head of School (Principal) for five years at St Dominic School in Lewiston, Maine, USA, and twenty-four years as Head (President) of Mount St Charles Academy in Woonsocket, RI, USA. Before his years in educational administration, he served as a teacher of Science and Religious Education. His volunteer services include serving as Chair of the New England Council of Major Superiors of Men and Chair of the United States Religious Brothers Task Force of CMSM (Council of Major Superiors of Men). Br. Robert is a member of the Audit Committee.

Mr Robert Duigan BCom (Ed), MEd, Specific Responsibility for EYFS

Robert Duigan has been a member of the Board of Governors since March 2012. He graduated as a teacher from the University of Port Elizabeth and gained his Masters in Educational Leadership through the Australian Catholic University. Robert has been a keen sportsman, an avid reader and a rather average photographer. He appreciates the time that he is able to spend with his wife and two teenage children. Along with sport, they all enjoy the beautiful British countryside and visiting different parts of the country. Robert is currently Headmaster at Crackley Hall in Kenilworth, having been privileged to have been Headmaster at two previous schools in his career. He also considers it an honour to have taught at St Columba's Prep for two years - quite a while ago now. Robert is a reader and Eucharistic Minister at his local church, St Augustine's in Kenilworth. He is a member of the Education, Strategy and Policy Committee and is the Governor for Early Years.

Mrs Joanne Goddard BA (Hons), ACIB, Specific Responsibility for SEND

Joanne has been a member of the Board of Governors since January 2014. She read Geography at Leeds University and then joined Yorkshire Bank as a graduate recruit. She worked her way through management levels in both branch and head office roles, finishing as a Senior Dealer in the Bank’s Treasury Department. She has two sons, who both went through the Senior School and are now at university. After deciding not to return to a senior banking role, Joanne worked with special needs children in a local RC primary school. She now does some voluntary work and deals with the administration for St Albans Cricket Club. Joanne sits on the Education, Strategy and Policy Committee. She also acts as a link with the school’s Development Office and is the Special Educational Needs Link Governor.

Mrs Angela Gray BSc (Hons), ACA, Prep Link Governor

Angela has been a member of the Board of Governors since July 2013. She originally read Mathematics at Queen Mary College, University of London, and then went on to qualify as a Chartered Accountant with Deloitte. She worked in the London Audit Department for a number of years, specialising in Internal Audit and the Education Sector. Angela is married with two sons and has spent sixteen years as a parent at the school and over fourteen years as an active member of both the Prep and Senior School Parents’ Associations. She is also a member of the Parish Finance Committee at St. Bartholomew’s RC Church in St Albans. Angela currently chairs the Finance and General Purposes Committee and sits on both the Education Strategy and Policy Committee and the Audit Committee. She also acts as the Prep Link Governor.

Br. Ivy LeBlanc SC, BS, MEd, MPS

B. Ivy became a Brother of the Sacred Heart in 1967 and has been a member of the Board of Governors since 2009. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from Louisiana State University, a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration from Tulane University and a Master’s Degree in Theology from Loyola University of New Orleans. After thirty-one years in school ministry as a teacher, assistant principal, principal and president, he served seven years as Provincial of the New Orleans Province of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart. He now serves on the Provincial Council and as Treasurer of the US Province. He is also the Executive Director of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart Foundation and directs the Coindre Leadership Program.

Mr Kevin McGovern BSc, MRICS

Kevin joined the Board of Governors in October 2015.  He has been associated with St Columba’s since 2000, as both his sons are former students of the College, spanning a combined eleven-year period. He is currently Chief Executive of Development Managers Ltd (DML), a private limited company, which he founded over ten years ago in May 2005. 

Kevin has over thirty years of property development experience. Prior to forming DML, he was Head of the UK Division of Tishman Speyer in London for five years and previously worked for Markborough Properties and Rosehaugh Plc. Kevin has led a number of major Central London projects, including the development of Tower Place, construction of the GLA Building, overall scheme approval for the two million sq. ft. commercial development at More, management of the new wing at the Grade I listed Natural History Museum and redevelopment of the Cafè Royal.

Mr Christian Savvides MA (Oxon), AMCT

Christian has been a member of the Board of Governors and the Finance and General Purposes Committee since 2009.  An Old Columban, he left the school in 1991 to read Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford.  Since 1994 he has worked in corporate finance and is currently Managing Director and Co-Head of European Debt Advisory at Rothschild.  Christian is also Chairman of Bankside Gallery, the home of the Royal Watercolour Society and the Royal Society of Painter Printmakers.  He is married with two children.

Br. Daniel St Jacques SC, BA, MA, PGF HG Dip (Counselling), MBACP

Br. Daniel is currently serving as Dean of the College and the School Counsellor. As Dean, he represents the interests of and serves as a link between St Columba’s College and the Brothers of the Sacred Heart of the American Province. He works with Senior Management and the Governing Body to maintain the Ethos and Charism of the Brothers. His position as the School Counsellor allows him to interact with the staff, students and parents to help guide the young men in his care who may need assistance. He was born and raised in New England and has held positions in several schools and missions of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart throughout the US, UK and Eastern and Southern Africa. Br. Dan sits on the Finance and General Purposes Committee and the Education, Strategy and Policy Committee

Mr Stephen Watson BA, FCA

Stephen became a member of the Board of Governors in 2012. He chairs the Audit Committee and is also a member of the Education, Strategy and Policy Committee. Stephen is an Economics graduate from the University of Kent and is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants. Following a decade with Price Waterhouse, working in London, Milan and St Albans, he has spent the last twenty years as Finance Director of a number of professional services firms based in the City of London. Stephen is currently Director of Finance at Dentons UKMEA LLP, an international law firm. He is married with two sons, both of whom are Old Columbans, having spent fourteen years at the school.