Project Respond

Sub menu

Project Respond is a programme that was inaugurated in 1991 as a response to the needs of young people in the developing world.

Over the years, St Columba’s College has had a twinning relationship with St Francis Secondary School in Malole, Zambia. Eighteen students and staff members travel to Zambia each year, to work in partnership with students from St Francis in order to complete various projects on campus. St Francis is a large boarding school and is under the direction of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart. The Project is the principal means through which St Columba’s College lives out its twinning relationship with St Francis. Over the years, students in the Sixth Form have made enormous contributions to the health, security and comfort of the young people at St Francis. At the same time, the pupils of St Francis each year bless the Project Respond students with their warm hospitality and friendship.

The Project Respond team also visits the College’s other sister school in Zambia, Robert Shitima Combined School, which is situated on the outskirts of Kabwe. Robert Shitima Combined School provides education, housing and support for 420 orphans, street kids and other children, who would otherwise be living in deep deprivation. The Sixth Form students and staff spend time with the students there, making friends and building on the special relationship between Robert Shitima Combined School and St Columba’s.