Business Studies

Sub menu

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

The most successful businesses are the ones which are responsive to change. The main thrust of the AQA Business Studies course is the study of the extent to which both small and large business manage change.

One of the challenges in the Sixth Form is the different approach that is needed at A level. Students are introduced to methods of individual study and research that will be vital to their progress and success at university and in work. All of the teachers in the Department have worked in real business environments and bring to the classroom a rich thread of anecdotes to bring theory to life. They have a passion for their subject and encourage curiosity. Wider reading is an integral part of making sense of business theories and the Department has built up a large stock of Business and Management books, which we lend to students. This is supported by watching a range of appropriate documentaries and films. 

Business Studies students have the opportunity to participate in the Young Enterprise Scheme and Dragons’ Apprentice Challenge each year. Students are encouraged to explore business activity near where they live; to visit exhibitions and seek work experience to widen their horizons and provide real business examples for their essays. Regular homework support sessions and revision clinics are held throughout the year.