Art and Design

Sub menu

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Art is an integral way of understanding and responding to the world around us.

With this in mind, the function of Art and Design at St Columba’s is to allow students to think freely about their cultural interests and feelings. By utilising both traditional and modern image-making tools, students are able to present and fully realise, in visual form, their creative intentions.

Students emulate techniques, research artists and explore genres of Art and Design to inform their own art practice. They begin to understand Art and Design by engaging in subject matter, which widens their understanding of artistic tradition, culture and personal identity. It is this sentiment that the Department promotes, in order that students have a playful, but rigorous experience in Art and Design.

Students are taught to have high expectations of their work, to think independently and share good practice with their peers. Students are encouraged to discover new techniques and take risks to develop personal, imaginative and skilled artwork. The Department offers a range of exciting projects that aim to inspire and foster creativity. Art and Design teachers work around students’ ideas and respond appropriately to all levels of ability and enquiry.

At A level, students embark on a personal programme of study, following the Edexcel specification. Students make art independently and are supported by tutorials, which assist in the development of their individual portfolios.

During the course, A level students are taken to The Royal Academy and Saatchi Galleries to experience art first-hand and foster creativity. They will also visit the Institute of Education for the Creative Process. This is an opportunity for students to gain valuable insights into further education.

Art Club is available three times a week, on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and by negotiation at other times. We encourage students to use the 'open studios' after school on Tuesday and Thursday to develop their Art and Design practice. Life drawing is also run within the Department for A level students to hone their observation drawing skills in the Michaelmas Term. This effectively complements the students' A level personal portfolios.