Physical Education

Sub menu

In the dust of defeat, as well as the laurels of victory, there is glory to be found if one has done his best. Eric Liddell

Physical Education (PE) at St Columba’s College aims to provide students with the skills, abilities and, most importantly, the knowledge to lead healthy, active and fulfilling lives, now and in the years to come.

Through the broad curriculum, students are enthused and challenged by dedicated PE staff, who have all reached national levels in their own sports and are primed to bring out the best in their students. The Department’s curriculum is tailored to its students and is continually developed in response to their changing interests in sport. Alongside the more traditional Hockey, Basketball and Tennis, newer additions include Handball, Lacrosse, Futsal and Strength and Conditioning, to name just a few. 

PE at St Columba’s is not only about excelling through performance, but also through an understanding of coaching, teaching and officiating, which some students will go on to do at national-level sports events. This broad focus ensures that all students have the opportunity to excel, and demonstrates that physical ability is not the only avenue to succeed. Perseverance, dedication and commitment are equally valued.

The Physical Education Department also offers examination at both GCSE and A level. Students follow the OCR specification at both GCSE and A level. The exam board has been specifically chosen by the College to suit the practical capabilities of students and to allow them to combine numerous invasion games (Football, Rugby and Basketball, etc.) with more personalised options. 

PE is a popular choice for students at GCSE and the Department’s kinaesthetic, active-led approach to teaching and learning means that the students are able to learn in the styles that suit them best. 

As well as in-school learning, students are also taken on educational trips to St Mary's University and the English Institute of Sport testing laboratories to see their studies put into practice. At A level, students visit the tennis courts at Hatfield House as part of historical sports studies, as well as physiology labs and other external opportunities as they arise. Another key focus of the Department is to explore the career opportunities available to PE and Sports Science students at undergraduate level, and the place sport holds in the twenty-first century. Students often go on to study Sports Science at degree level or, through their high level of involvement in sport, take on some form of coaching role in later life.

Please click here to visit the Sports Department's microsite and here to access its Twitter feed.