Design Technology

Sub menu

Design creates culture. Culture shapes values. Values determine the future. Robert L. Peters

The Department encourages a critical understanding of the importance of Design Technology in formal education and the wider world.

Through the subject, students develop an awareness and appreciation of aesthetic, economic, social, environmental and technical factors, both in creating their own work and evaluating the work of others.

In Form 1, students undertake specific tasks that build their subject knowledge and skills, while being introduced to the Department's brand of classroom working and being integrated into its community of practice. Through a series of projects, students focus on the acquisition and development of specific product design skills, such as computing, 2D and 3D sketching, studio skills in design, development, rapid prototyping and knowledge of design for manufacture.

The remainder of the Key Stage 3 course extends these skills and places students in more professional contexts, through given briefs that are in line with industrial needs. Here, students are given the opportunity to consider and plan their future in design and to take more responsibility for initiating and managing their own work.

GCSE Design Technology, which follows the Edexcel specification, provides individuals with a broader opportunity to address their own agenda through writing and design exploration. This allows them to bring together the creative, intellectual, entrepreneurial, and practical capacities they have developed in the previous three years; the result being a product design outcome, which is limited only by the time allocated and their own ambitions. Form 4 students have three portfolios to complete, while Form 5 work on the Design and Make element of their GCSE course.

The A level course includes units on graphics, design study and deconstruction, design and development, and the manufacturing of ideas. The Edexcel specification enables students to take control of project briefs and improve their ability to manage projects. At AS level, students are required to demonstrate their creativity and apply their knowledge and understanding of materials. At A2 level, students further develop their research and analytical skills in forming workable solutions to problems within a client-based context.