Computing and ICT

Sub menu

The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers. Richard Hamming

The Department recognises the increasing importance of Computing and ICT in students’ lives and aims to develop their capability in the subject, whilst also using the same skills to enhance learning in other areas of the curriculum.

Every student from Form 1 to Form 3 has one lesson of Computing and ICT per week. The Department takes great pride in the quality of its programme, which includes a thorough coverage of the main applications packages: word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentations and graphics. Students are also taught programming through Logo, Scratch and Python.

The College offers GCSE and both the AS and full A level courses, broadening the options available to Sixth Form students and ensuring the continuity of Computing and ICT provision. These courses focus on the fundamentals of programming, computation and computer systems.  The GCSE consists of two written exams and a programming based project that is worth 20% of the total mark.  The AS programme culminates in two exams, one of which is completed online. The full A level course consists of two papers, one of which is online, and a non-exam based assessment, which tests students’ problem-solving capabilities.

There is a regular Programming Club, as well as a Digital Video Editing Club, which introduces students to the latest video editing technology and the many facets of the digital media industry. The facilities are also available each lunchtime for European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) tutorials and exams.